Our mission is to enhance the lives of Oakland students by funding arts education in our most under-resourced schools. Our guiding principles are the heart of that mission:
- We believe that the arts are essential to every child’s education and contribute to academic and personal success.
- We focus on innovative new programs that combine hands-on creation of art and education, including visual, literary, and performance arts.
- We partner with schools, artists, projects, and organizations that share our vision of combining the experience of creating art with an aesthetic education. We are not program providers, but rather we accept requests for funding from artists and other program providers in the Bay Area who focus on the under-resourced K-12 student population in Oakland.
- We support arts education programs in Oakland that are unlikely to succeed without our aid, and that benefit communities where inadequate financial resources have limited our young people’s access to a full range of opportunities.
- We work in schools where principals, teachers, and parents provide the support structure necessary to ensure an art program’s success and its eventual integration into the curriculum. Through our board liaisons, we maintain a direct relationship with the program provider throughout the term of each grant.